Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Easy Granola

This Granola is So easy to make. A young child could even make it. All it takes is 12 minutes! And guess what? It is all cooked in the microwave!!!




Can't believe Thanksgiving is a week away. A week from today, I will be cooking ALL day. Everything made from scratch: pies, salads, rolls, potatoes, & more. Seriously...ALL day. But it is fun. As you might know about me, cooking is something I enjoy. And to make it fresh...makes a world of difference. 


I unlike my husband, will be eating lots of sweet potatoes, squash and pumpkin pie. He doesn't like the texture of those particular foods, so he will eat the meat, potato, salad and chocolate pie. That is what is so nice about Thanksgiving...so much food, lots of family and everyone can eat what they like and want. Plus all the games, relaxing (that is why I cook the day before, so I can sit on my butt for Thanksgiving). 


I hope you all have an enjoyable Thanksgiving and remember all that we are truly thankful for. 

Now for the granola.


Ingredients:


5 cups old fashion oats
1-2 cups honey
2 Tb butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Yummy Bits: *You can add what you like 
1 cup peanuts
1 cup raisins or golden raisins
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup almonds, pecans etc.
Etc. there are lots of variations


In large glass bowl (microwavable) add oats, butter, sugar, 1 cup honey, and cinnamon (I also like to add my peanuts at this time too). Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes. Remove and stir well.



Again, return bowl to microwave and cook for another 4 minutes. Remove and stir. 


Add whatever combination of yummy bits (although add raisins during the last 2 minutes only, otherwise they will get too chewy) you like. Stir bits into oats. *The honey acts like glue and helps bind everything together. If your oats are still too dry, add more honey and stir. Microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and stir. *The bowl will start to get a little hot, you might need to wear gloves if it is too hot. 

When I made this, I didn't have a lot of "bits" on hand and in fact, I didn't have any thing else to feed my kids for breakfast and that is why I made Granola. It worked great and everyone ate breakfast and didn't starve that morning!

Microwave for another 2 minutes. Total cooking time 12 minutes. Remove and stir. It will be hot. But now you are done. As the granola cools, it will get crunchier, although not as crunchy as store bought granola. Serve with milk and Enjoy!







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...