Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cafe Rio Chicken Salad

If you haven't had a Salad from Cafe Rio, you are missing out!


But if you don't have a Cafe Rio close...this recipe is just as wonderful (maybe even better!) The key is using fresh ingredients.


I made this for our family vacation dinner back in May. Yes, May...I know. I know. It has been just a little while. But, when you cook everyday, and don't post everyday; then you get a little backtracked. Plus, my computer hasn't been working at all last week. Oh the things that get in the way. Grumble.

This is always a great option for a big party. Everyone can make their own. It would even be a great dinner for a campout...yes. Loved by all, young and old.

For the Salad: Fresh Tortillas, *Rice, Beans, *Meat, Cheese, Shredded Lettuce, Fresh Salsa or Pico, Fresh Cilantro, and *Homemade Creamy Tomatillo Dressing.
*Recipes provided by Cole's Cafe.

*Here is how to assemble:
1. Fresh Tortilla (I buy mine from Costco in the refrigerator section). Cook on skillet till lightly browned on both sides.
2. Meat
3. Cheese
4. Rice
5. Beans (Black Beans are my favorite) *Drain and Rinse your beans before serving.
6. Romaine Lettuce, chopped
7. Fresh Salsa (I LOVE Jack's Salsa, it is the BEST...again I buy that at Costco) or you could buy some fresh salsa in your local grocery store or Pico de Gallo.
8. Fresh Cilantro sprigs
9. Guacamole and Sour Cream
10. Tortilla Chips (crumbled on top...optional)
11. Tomatillo Dressing
12. Squeeze Fresh Lime on top

Now doesn't that sound AMAZING?! Try it and you will see!

Dressing:

In blender, combine all ingredients:

1 cup buttermilk
1 package dry ranch dressing mix
3 tomatillos
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 cup mayo
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 small sweet yellow onion
1 jalapeno

Refrigerate after blended.



Rice:

2 cups rice
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
4 green onions, chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lime
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp season all salt

Cook rice in chicken broth with garlic, season all salt and lime zest of 1 lime. When it is done cooking, stir in chopped fresh cilantro, green onions, and lime juice.


Chicken:

5-6 large chicken breasts
1 bottle zesty Italian dressing
1 Tb cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tb chili powder

Crock Pot. Dump it all in a crock pot and say goodbye to it for 5 hours. This is what I do...I throw it all in the crock pot in the morning on high heat. Then half way through the day, I stir, shred the chicken. *Now, every time you take off the crock pot lid...it takes 30 MINUTES to get back to the heat it was originally. Don't keep taking off the lid. Anyway, Let it cook until dinner. It should absorb all the liquid, making it a beautiful caramel color. If it is starting to cook TOO much, reduce temperature to low and continue to cook.



This is my salad after I ate a few bites.

My Family serving themselves.


This is what my salad looked like. How would you make yours?

The Goods!

     

Here is my sister-in-law squeezing lime on her salad (left) and my husband making his salad (right).

How will you make your Cafe' Rio? Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...