Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pizza Dough

This recipe for Pizza Dough...I use a lot!


I mean, A LOT....for stromboli, calzones, pizza, pretzels, sticky buns etc. etc.


It is fast. It is easy. Everything I have on hand. It is homemade. It is kid friendly. It is delicious. It is versatile. It can be grilled...oh yah, it is good on the grill!

So, having established the fact that I use this recipe a lot, I am sure I will refer to it in the future.

I continue...I am trying to think of what to say, due to the fact that I did not get much sleep last night. Let me tell you, I could conquer the world if I get enough sleep. But alas, I am barely able to walk today.

I think I need to make something sweet today. I need a high. Cookies, Cupcakes, Chocolate...anything! Let it be written, let it be done!

When I am done, I am going to curl up with some dessert cookbooks and brainstorm. I just hope I don't fall asleep in the process.

Although a nap would sure be nice. But WHERE IS THE TIME FOR THAT?????!!!!!

To the recipe:

Pizza dough (namely your best friend, because of its diversity)
*This is also the same recipe for Kid's Kitchen...like I said, diversity.

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tb yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tb sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour (I use wheat in everything, if you don't want it...just add white instead)

In large bowl, add your yeast. To the yeast add your water. First...warm it up in the microwave. Measure cold water from the tap in a glass liquid measuring cup. Heat the water on high for 1 minute and 20 seconds. It makes the perfect warm water. And it is faster than checking it with a thermometer and all that.

To the bowl, add your sugar now. Sugar helps the yeast. They are best friends, along with the warm water. Three is a crowd, but not in this case.

Then add your oil. It will look something like this...


Add your 2 cups white flour. White always before wheat. Mix with wire wisk or do all this in your Kitchen Aid or Bosch.


Add your salt. Keep that salt an arms length away from your three-some. If you want more of an Italian taste to your dough. Add 1 Tb dried Italian herbs along with the salt. The herbs give the dough a great flavor!


Add your wheat flour last. Mix with a wooden spoon and your hands (if it is not too sticky), until enough flour is incorporated into the dough. You can tell, because the dough will want more flour (too sticky) or it will tell the flour to get lost (it has enough flour).

Knead with your hands. Knead till the dough bounces back. You can tell, because you spank it and it comes back.


You are done. Well done. Good job! Hip hip Hooray! We will have pizza today!

Now the best part, this dough doesn't need to rise for very long to use it. If you are making pizza, you can start rolling out your dough as soon as you are done kneading it. While you are rolling out your dough, cover the rest of the dough with a clean towel and it will rise. That is just super. *If you want to let the dough rise a little before you use it, that is great too.

Divide dough into balls. How many pizza's do you want to make? This dough will make enough for 3 large pizza's or 8-12 mini pizza's.


Roll out your dough on some cornmeal.


Transfer your rolled pizza dough to prepared pizza pan or cookie sheet. Now do your thing with your pizza. Sauce. BBQ? Pesto? Marinara? Alfredo? What toppings etc would you like?


I put fresh mozerella, tomatoes and spinach on my pizza.
What do you like on your pizza?
Cook in the oven at 430 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until the pizza is light brown and cheese bubbly.


Enjoy! And nite nite. Time for a nap.

The best part about this dough: You can store it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Or freeze it for 2 months. When ready to use: remove from frig and let thaw till room temperature. Then roll out. Now you can enjoy pizza the next day too!



1 comment:

carolinaheartstrings said...

I have been wanting a good pizza dough recipe. This is it. Thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...