Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Cake: Healthy

Oh this is Good. Really Good. And the best part? Good for you!


So, I am sure some of you have seen this recipe. It is posted all over Pintrest. And I have seen it on a few different blogs. It is all the same. And I am sure it is good. 

I changed mine. For me, food needs to #1. Taste FANTASTIC. And #2. Be good for me: Healthy. I don't like eating too much sugar and crap that is not good for my insides=not good for any side of me :)

My sis-in law gave me a challenge. She made this cake for her family and her husband LOVED it! She told him "I know why you like it, it is full of butter and sugar and white flour." Agree. That would be good. But she gave me the recipe and asked what I would do if I made it and here is what I came up with....


But before I get to the recipe, I have to say that this cake does not taste like a "Health Cake" in fact, it tastes the same, just not made the same. But for the info, here is what changed: 1. Less sugar. 2. Whole grains: Wheat flour & Oats. 3. Less butter=Less fat. But I didn't change the cinnamon...that spice is Good!

Ingredients:

1 cup white flour
2 cups wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar, scant (meaning...you don't need to fill up the cup full to the top, if you have a little less sugar-you are good.)
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk, skim or 1% (I used 1%)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup butter (1/2 of a stick), melted
1/4 cup coconut oil (which is really good for you), melted

Topping:

1/4 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 Tb flour
1 Tb cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup quick oats (you won't even taste them and know they are there)


Glaze:


2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 Tb butter, soft
1 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 glass pan, grease and set aside. 


In bowl, add flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.



Then add your milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix with electric mixer. 



Add your melted butter and coconut oil last. Mix/Stir by hand gently until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan.




Make topping. Mix all ingredients together. 



Spoon topping over cake.



Mix and swirl. I made it almost look like cinnamon rolls. But don't over mix. Take a knife and drag it from one end of the pan then back to the next. 



Cook in oven for 28-35 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean. 



Let cool for a few minutes while you make the glaze. Then pour glaze over cake. Serve warm. Enjoy! And don't feel guilty about having another slice ;)



Thanks for the challenge Sister! It was fun...and better yet, my taste buds said it was fun too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. cakes by al

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...