Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Homemade Larabars

Just this past year, my mom introduced me to Larabars...thanks to my sisters. I was hooked instantly. My Sister, Karmen featured these Bars in the magazine she works for: Girls Life. Thanks Karmen!

Hope everyone enjoys these Bars as much as I do.

Trail Mix Bars
Simple, only a few ingredients, Delish! Larabars

They can be a bit pricey. Ranging from $1-$2+ a bar.

For me, it is the perfect snack. In fact, I snack on them ALL day...it seems. 

Strawberry Banana Bars
I wanted to make my own because: #1. The cost. # 2. I couldn't find all the flavors I wanted. #3. I am now addicted and need to have them all the time...the reason I snack on them all day.

It is my dessert. I don't feel bogged down when I eat them (unlike some other desserts). It has a lot of protein, and nuts. I LOVE nuts!

Lime-Orange Coconut Bars

Here are some other links to websites I found for Larabar recipes...check them out. Larabar: Healthy Habits and Larabars: Make at Home

But here are some Larabar recipes I made up myself. Directly from Cole's Kitchen...

I made Trail Mix Bars, Strawberry Banana, and Lime-Orange Coconut. All Delish!!! The only problem was they were gone too fast!


Trail Mix Bars:
*The reason I call these Trail Mix...well, they have everything you would find in trail mix and more.


2 cups nuts. I used a combination of peanuts, almonds, and pecans
2-3 cups dates, chopped. (When you buy dates, buy the ones with the seeds still in them, just pit and chop. They stay moist with the pits in them.)
*For Larabars...it calls for half nuts and half dates. Then add your other ingredients.
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 Tb ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional
1 Tb Coco powder, optional


Lets make Larabars!! Come on, get excited with me! 1st. Roughly chop your nuts in food processor. This make it so there are not large chunks of nuts in your bars. *If you want to toast your nuts before hand, please do so. Put them in your oven at 375 degrees, for about 10 minutes or so. If not (I like the nuts raw...they are better for you) just add them in the food processor.


Next add your Chocolate Chips, Raisins, Oatmeal, Flaxseed, Cinnamon, Coco powder. Roughly Chop.

Last, your dates. The dates are the glue. They will make everything stick together. First, make sure all the pits are out of the dates. Feel the dates through your fingers, make sure they are soft...you don't want to bite into anything hard. Not fun for you or your teeth. Second, chop your dates a little before you add them to the food processor. This will help because as soon as the dates mix, the food processor blade will just spin and not chop.


You will know when the bars are done, because it will all pull together. If they are still too dry, add more dates, until they do pull together.


Remove. Press on wax paper. Cut and Refrigerate the rest in airtight container.




Enjoy and snack at will :)

Strawberry Banana Bars:


1 cup nuts, I used almonds *You can roast your almonds before you use them. I like them raw (and raw nuts are better for you). It is up to you.
1/2 cup oats
1 1/2 cup dates, chopped
1/2 banana
2 fresh strawberries
6 prunes, optional

1st. Chop nuts in food processor. 2nd. Add strawberry and banana. 3rd. Add oats. Chop in food processor. 4th. Add chopped dates and chopped prunes (optional). *If it is too moist, add some more oats. This Larabar recipe will be more moist then the others because of the strawberries. But the flavor is wonderful! Store in frig after done.


Lime-Orange Coconut Bars:


1 cup nuts
1-1 1/2 cups dates
zest of 2 limes, plus juice of 1/2 lime
zest of 1/2 large orange
1 1/2 coconut extract
1/2 cup toasted coconut, optional

1st. Process nuts in food processor. 2nd. Add lime and orange zest, along with lime juice, coconut and coconut extract...."Put the lime in the coconut and stir it all around..." 3rd. Add chopped dates. Process until comes together. Remove, place on wax paper. Cut and store in frig.


Tasty!!! These Bars are by far some of my favorite things! YUM!!!

4 comments:

2Foxes2Cities said...

Excellent :)

Jenny said...

I am so excited to make these! YUM!

Camille said...

Nicole your awesome! The other day I watched the show "unwrapped" they showed how Lara bars are manufactured. YUMMY! they are so delicious. You've created 2 delicious sounding recipes, Love Your Creativity!!!

We should have a Lara Bar get together & swap recipes : )

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful!! My husband loves larabars! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

PS - don't forget to put where you link up to with a clickable link back...a lot of linky hosts will delete the post but so far I'm too nice to do that! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...