Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Orange Poppy Scones


Perfect for Breakfast. Perfect for Dessert. Perfect for special occasions like Mother's Day Dinner.


I want a double flip waffle iron. Oh that would be fantastic! I made waffles this morning, and to be able to have 2 waffles done at the same time...what a world! I would like that. Too bad my husband never reads my blog, that would be a VERY subtle hint for birthday or holiday. But no worries, I have already told him that I would like one. Check.

Serve warm with Honey Butter and Jam. And of course, I added whole wheat flour. I am just weird like that. Then I eat more. Fiber. More for you. Regular. He he. It fills you up.


Ingredients:

1 1/2 c flour
1 c wheat flour
1/4 c sugar
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cold
1/2 c + 2 Tb buttermilk
1 Tb orange zest + 1/4 c orange juice
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp cinnamon

Honey Butter: 1/2 soften butter. 1/2 honey. Mix.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Now, with a pastry blender or your fingers (fingers is what I normally do) blend butter into flour until well blended. *You will want to have some pea size butter pieces and some smaller. Just don't over-work the butter or it will melt or soften too much.


Stir in buttermilk, orange zest and juice, egg yolk, poppy seeds and cinnamon until combined.




On lightly floured surface, knead dough several times until dough forms.


Divide in half and roll (on lightly floured surface) in circle (or close to a circle). Take a pizza cutter or knife and cut like a pizza into triangles.



Place triangles on parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.


Bake scones until golden. About 15-17 minutes. Cool. Eat. Indulge. Over Eat. No...but Enjoy!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...