Friday, June 10, 2011

Mexican Salad

What do you do with leftovers from Mexican Caviar? Let me tell you...


YOU MAKE A GREEN SALAD. But first, let me tell you about my day. Pull up a chair.

Today has been a good day. Got my hair cut and colored today at Radiance Salon (Fabulous~indeed Radiant)! Now my husband can't tell me anymore "You are getting a lot of grey hairs". Well I fixed that problem.

I had a spicy Pastrami sandwich for lunch. Watermelon too.

The weather is perfect outside. I feel like "Tangled"...I want to look out my window and sing, "and brush and brush and brush my hair".

While I was getting my hair done, I was looking at cookbooks. Go figure. I brought my own magazines, well...cookbooks that is. I was plotting, planning, drooling over what to make next.

Tonight I am going to make raspberry chipotle grilled chicken drumsticks, homemade fries and some sort of veggie. Hmmmm...Mmmmm.

But on to the salad. Let me tell you...I LOVE salads. The salads on my dinner plates take up 3/4 of the plate. I load up. But better to load up on salad right?


Salads. When you make a good salad, there is no turning back. I am often asked to bring a salad to family dinners etc. Creating a new salad is a fun challenge. That is seriously all I would eat sometimes.

And Summer. What better than salads in summer. All sorts of salads. Who's with me?!

Another thing that is great about salads. They are SO easy to make! Hallelujah for that!

To make:

1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped or torn
1-2 cups baby spinach
1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 english cucumber, quartered chopped
2 cups of Mexican Caviar 
1/2 cup grated cheese (Spicy Pepperjack would be my choice)
Tortilla chips

Assemble:

Take your washed lettuce and spin in salad spinner. If you don't have a salad spinner...YOU NEED ONE. (Not really, but that is one of my favorite appliances I use.) But salad dressing does not like and does not need water all over the lettuce. So either way, dry your lettuce as much as possible first.



Add your chopped bell pepper, cucumber, Mexican Caviar OR if you don't have Mexican Caviar or time to make it...add 1/2 cup corn, 1/2 cup black beans, 1/2 cup black eyed peas (you will need dressing too). However, if you use the Mexican Caviar. **YOU WILL NOT NEED DRESSING. The juices from the caviar will be enough. Drizzle the juices from the caviar over your salad...and you are good to go!


Mexcian Caviar


Add cheese and crushed tortilla chips (if desired).

**NOW...this is IMPORTANT. When you make a salad. First put your lettuce in the bowl. Then veggies (toppings etc.) DO NOT toss everything together. Why do you ask? It is simple. Because all the "yummy bits" (as I call it) in the salad WILL fall to the bottom. Your salad will not "look" as pretty and you don't want to be picking at your salad to try to find the "yummy bits". SO...do this. After you put your yummy bits on top of your lettuce. Toss ONLY (very gently) the top 1/4 of your lettuce with your yummy bits. Actually, sometimes I just move the top layer around a little so some of the bits fall down, but not all. If you do this, I will guarantee everyone will get a little of everything (unless they bit only the bits of the top, and smack their hand if they do...because you should take the tongs and grab the lettuce underneath with the bits at the same time). It is the perfect solution to salad. *The only exception to this rule is: if you have a dressing you want to toss with your salad, toss your dressing on the lettuce ONLY and then add your yummy bits on top. If you can.


That was really long, but as you can see I am very passionate about my salads.

Now serve and EAT UP!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...