Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spaghetti with Sauteed Veggies

Everyone has their own way of making spaghetti.


For me, I love sauteed veggies in my spaghetti. Especially carrots. Growing up, my mom always made lasagna. And she would first saute carrots and onions in a little butter. Oh my!My nose was loving that! And my taste buds and belly loved it more! I was constantly tasting that sauce! So now, I put sauteed carrots in a LOT of my meals.

I made this with a side of sauteed asparagus. L.O.V.E it!

More veggies, less meat. Although this one has ground turkey meat in it.

This one is not rocket science...it seems pasta is  generally an easy meal, and most people seem to like pasta. I mean, really what is not to like about warm noodles. AND THEN, add some sauce, any sauce. The possibilities are endless! ENDLESS!

So, spaghetti: That is what's for dinner tonight!


Ingredients:
*Lets make this easy, shall we?

1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1 lb ground turkey meat (less grease, less fat, less feeling like you ate a cow...well, in fact turkey isn't a cow...that is obvious though)
1 medium-large onion
2 large carrots, grated
1 small zucchini, grated
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tsp Italian dried seasoning
Box of whole wheat spaghetti noodles, cooked

Serving size? It is hard to tell, don't ask me...I eat TOO much! Maybe about 6-8 people?

To make:

Saute your veggies first. I was in a crunch for time, so I added everything in the pan together. You can do that too, BUT...sauteing the onions, carrots, zucchini and garlic first, will caramelize those veggies and they will taste SO good. I guarantee! To saute: add your chopped veggies to a pan with 3 Tb olive oil (you can add 1 Tb of butter too, if you like). Cook the onions, carrots, zucchini, garlic until lightly browned on medium-high heat, turn down the heat if needed. Then stir in your dried seasoning.




Cook your meat. You can let that get a little brown too. Brings out the flavor.

Now, when you saute...add your wet ingredients to the same pan. All that flavor that browns on the bottom of your pan will come off and be infused into your sauce. Good stuff.

Can you see the steam?
To your meat and veggies, add your pasta sauce (if you like your sauce not as thick, then add 2 jars of pasta sauce). Let that cook and blend on medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 10-15 minutes. The longer you let it cook, the more the flavors blend. The question is, how much time do you have?

While your sauce is cooking, cook your pasta in salted water, according to the directions. (Although, I honestly never look at the directions...it is all in the taste.)

Now this is the hard part: adding the sauce to the pasta. HA. Just kidding, it is simple. Doesn't get much easier.


Add some fresh Parmesan cheese and you are ready to eat! Serve with some sauteed asparagus and Italian Bread. Dinner is served!

To make asparagus, in saucepan: add 2 Tb oil, and 1 Tb butter (optional, it just makes it taste good). Wash asparagus and add to pan. Cook on medium-high heat (turn down if too hot) sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned. Remove from heat and squeeze fresh lemon juice on top (1 lemon should do it). Serve immediately.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...