Friday, March 23, 2012

Southwestern Slaw

Crunchy. Fresh. Delicious Side. 


This recipe is from a long-time friend in Texas. She is a wonderful cook that has a passion for great food, just like me. One Christmas we exchanged recipes as a gift and when she sent hers to me, not only were they beautifully written, but when I was looking through the recipes my mouth started to water. And everything that I have made from her kitchen is WONDERFUL! Thanks xoxox

I love a good Slaw. That is all I have to say about it. Slaw is good. And good for you. BONUS!! 

I served this Slaw with Gourmet Burgers. Perfect Side dish! And the next day, I added it to my Egg Salad Sandwich. Would also be Excellent on a BBQ Pulled Sandwich. All mouth watering delicious. 



Ingredients:

1 medium jicama, pealed and sliced into thin strips, about 3 cups
1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced, about 2 1/2 cups
1/4 head green cabbage, thinly sliced, about 2 1/2 cups
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup buttermilk
1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning *I added that one for an extra kick
1-2 Tb lime juice and zest from lime
Salt and Pepper

In large bowl, toss together jicama* (I know...what is that?!), and cabbage. 


*Jicama is a Mexican Yam. It can be found in your produce section. It is light, crunchy and juicy. It is perfect in this Slaw.


In small bowl, add onion, cilantro, mayo, buttermilk, lime juice and zest, Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper (more pepper and less salt because of the Cajun). Mix. Pour over vegetables and toss to combine. Enjoy! And here is a GREAT way to use the leftovers...Green Salad with Slaw & Egg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My grandpa used to grow hicama in his garden. This recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks Nicole!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...