Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Curry Fried Rice

This is my life...


Yes. Curry Fried Rice is EXACTLY like my life these past 2 weeks. Let me tell you the story...

Last night I look in the frig, and what do I see? This:


I know right?! What ON earth am I going to make with cheese, green onions, red bell peppers, sliced chicken meat, and a few eggs? I mean, REALLY!!! I had NO bread, NO meat (besides the lunch meat), NO fruit, NO veggies (well, those carrots in my frig were going bad). I was stumped. Crap. And I didn't feel good (again my life...read on).

SO, I tried calling my husband a few times to get dinner for us on the way home. I figured he would want to eat SOMETHING. So, I tried. And tried. And tried. With no luck.

I started thinking. Thinking. Ok. Ok. I can do this. I have hardly NO food in my frig. My family is hungry. What to do?

So I gathered what I did have. I looked in my pantry (and me of course, I have NO boxed dinners or food) and I had some onions, brown rice, and spices (*ALWAYS ALWAYS have spices, it makes the food you eat, taste good). OK. Fried Rice. Then I was thinking how am I going to put this together? It is not going to be something to take pictures of...NO, it won't be that good. It wasn't looking too bright. My hopes were not very high. Many doubts.

NOW: My life: *I am going to show you how this Fried Rice ties into my life. Last week I was having some problems with my health/physical body. Crap. What is going on? *Like the rice, I was stumped.

So I went to a few doctors. (I mean, I freak out when I am having health issues~I usually look at my husband and ask him "Am I going to die?"...and everything always ends up ok). Always. I take care of myself. Eat healthy. Exercise every day. Got my blood work and physical done...everything looked great. FANTASTIC really. Then. MRI. Yes. MRI. And let me tell you~if you get an MRI: keep your eyes closed and imagine that the loud noises are the different beats in a live band (except the guitar) and everything will be OK. That is what I did.

Took home my pictures of my MRI. Later that night, I had dreams that I had cancer (I don't have cancer, but that is what I dreamed about). Me: Freaking out.

Back to the Rice: Served it up for dinner...Everyone LOVED it! Even the neighbor kid next door LOVED it! Everyone had seconds and thirds. When my husband got home...he wanted seconds, but there WASN'T ANY LEFT! Recipe. I will get to the recipe. Promise. Have to finish my story.

Dinner was a HUGE success. Even when all else was failing...like my life (the world was spinning around me, still had to do my mother responsibilities etc. etc. etc. and worrying about my health). The MRI came back and it looked GREAT. Nothing wrong. Weird really, crazy symptoms and everything was relatively good. Relatively good...meaning I still have problems. Yes. Don't we all? But nothing life serious etc.

To tie everything in: My life is not like "A box of chocolates" (as Forest Gump would say), but it is like "Curry Fried Rice". Both are full of spice, full of problems, surprise, stress, wonder, thinking...thinking....thinking, confusion, ciaos, tears, "what in the world am I going to do?", you do what you can...BUT a success, good, prayers, love, and peace that everything turned out ok. And that is how Curry Fried Rice is like my Life. What is your life like?

Hope you enjoyed my story, now on to the recipe:


2 cups brown rice
4 cups water
6 large eggs
1-2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
6-8 slices of chicken deli meat (or you can use shredded chicken etc.), sliced into squares
5-6 green onions, sliced
1 to 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon herb seasoning
2 Tb lemon juice
2 Tb Soy Sauce


Cook rice. In skillet cook/scramble eggs on medium heat with a little salt and pepper to taste. Remove eggs and put in bowl. Set aside. In same skillet, add 1-2 Tbs Olive Oil and saute yellow onion and red bell pepper until almost browned on medium high heat (*before you cook in the same pan, try to scrape out any leftover egg, so it doesn't burn or brown too much). Add seasonings: curry, ginger, garlic, cilantro, and lemon herb. Cook for about 2 minutes longer.

Add your cooked rice and stir into the onions and bell pepper. Add lemon juice and soy sauce. Add chicken. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add egg and green onions and serve warm. Enjoy! It is full of spice and loved by all :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I DID enjoy your story. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...